Monday, November 7, 2011

Project update

Wow, this weekend was busy.  As I mentioned in my last post I'm working on a project for my mom's living room which needs to be done by Christmas.  So I spent most of Saturday picking out fabrics and paint colors.  Sunday was spent attempting to get the nursery ready for my sweet little boy due in January.  Since I'm in the process of putting together an e-board for my mom's living room, here's my progress so far:   I finally chose three fabrics for inspiration -  Here are some pictures - more to come over the next couple of weeks.


Recovering two storage cubes - may use for a throw pillow or two

Using for throw pillows

Here's all three of them together:


The striped is what I'm using for the armchairs





It's kind of crazy how the computer changes the colors of these fabrics, but these are beautiful fabrics I swear!!  The paisley that I'm using actually has some really pretty colors of blues and grays with some tan.   I'm still on the hunt for a herringbone fabric to recover an ottoman that will serve as the coffee table and another fabric for roman shades.  This is the herringbone I'm thinking of:




Whenever I go to Home Goods or TJMaxx I'm constantly on the lookout for solid pieces of furniture that has potential to become something beautiful.  I knew I needed extra seating for guests and storage for blankets for the living room.   Today was the day that I scored a great deal on two storage cubes with feet.  Did I mention that the fabric was hideous?!   I was giggling to myself carrying these suckers out of the store because I wouldn't be caught dead with something so ugly.  Here's the thing - it's soooo easy to make something beautiful if you have some time and a little creativity to see past the UGLY.  It's such a simple project that I hope to finish this week.   You will need a:
  • Staple Gun
  • Sewing matching to sew the sides - or you can tuck the fabric in pretty snugly on the sides - whatever works best for you.  
  • Screwdriver to pull all the staples out of the original fabrics.

Here's an example of what I got today - I bought two of them to serve as extra seating if needed and I'm planning on putting them under a console table.




I think I mentioned that I'm working with a leather sofa and love seat.  So I really want to brighten up the space with some pops of color and an updated look.  I'm getting three chairs re-upholstered over the next two weeks and can't wait to see how they turn out.  Re-upholstery in my opinion is one of the best ways to save money and get something custom made if you have a solid piece to start with.  These are the pieces that I'm getting done.  
  • 2 Armchairs - I picked a really pretty Waverly Striped for these chairs (see above)
  • Wingback chair with an ottoman - I still haven't picked a fabric for this one yet 






I'm working with a pretty tight budget so 1/3 will go towards recovering these chairs.  The rest I will use to add accessories, throw pillows, paint, and some great pieces of art.  More to come tomorrow -  maybe I'll get around to uploading pictures of the nursery???

No comments:

Post a Comment